Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sony Playstation 4 Announced Today But That's About It

Yes, This is the actual view of the PS4 from the event thrown in New York City announcing the release

It's official, but that's about all we really learned in Sony's official announcement of the Playstation 4.  Many gamers have had today's date marked on the calendar as the date they would get to feast their eyes upon the future.  But as the image above indicates, this is what I feasted my eyes upon.

As the Retro Gaming Geek I love to look back at many of the games from the past and share my memories, but at the same time I have an interest in where I like seeing what those old games have spawned.  And frankly I am scared at what I saw tonight.  With projections of the recent Wii U and PS Vita systems taking a nose dive and market stability at its lowest point in years.  Add to that the fact that technology improvements aren't coming quite as rapidly, many people including myself are wondering if there is even a need for a new round of systems to appear in the same time frame as systems were released in the past.

Tonight was a huge opportunity for Sony to create some anticipation for their next generation but I fear the ball was majorly dropped.  For two hours developers were paraded out one after another to basically show tech demos and tell us all to wait for E3.  As far as tech demos go I didn't see a lot that looked much different than what my Playstation 3 is all ready capable of doing.  And while it is always neat to see new game concepts in motion, this was Sony's party after all so the big reveal had to be coming.  After seeing two hours of talk came... the end.

No price point, no specs, and no look at the system.  "Playstation wants to win the war against reality" said an early teaser, and nothing I saw there made me even believe that the Playstation 4 is an actual real thing.  In fact the whole charade looked more like Sony's effort to throw developers that may be behind schedule under the bus in front of a live audience, all the while not proving anything themselves.  Sony only really announced Holiday 2013 is the release date and that's about all they offered about the system itself.

Really the only real upgrade that I feel that Sony sounded proud about was the live streaming technology, so if you don't want to use your time to play games yourself you can watch other people play games.  To me that doesn't sound like something that screams improvement, it screams desperation to get a new system out.  I'm sorry Sony, I really wanted a reason to be excited about this thing, and so did a lot of other people you are counting on buying this system.  I guess I will have to wait until E3, until then I guess for me it's time to go back in time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment